Boxing Day football in the Forest this year meant a 1pm kick off with Cinderford Town this time hosting local visitors Lydney Town in a Hellenic League, Premier Division clash.  They met at Lydney’s ground in August with Cinderford taking the 3 points there.  After all the rain we have had the pitch at the Causeway was heavy in places, but both teams took to it like ducks to water watched by a crowd of 395.

 Lydney started off strongly with their number 7 Callum Dark looking very quick andshowing some tricky ball skills.  On the 11th minute his trickery proved too much and he scored the opening goal, giving Lydney the early lead.

 We didn’t have to wait long for the equaliser, and it came from Cinderford’s top scorer number 11 Lewis Powell, a strong header from number 10 Charlie Daviescross on 16 mins.

 A very competitive end to end game with some strong defending by Lydney’s number 3 & 14.  Cinderford did put the ball in the net on two occasions, one was disallowed for handball and the other was a very late offside decision.  Half time score Cinderford 1, Lydney 1 but Lydney had just edged that first half.

 Second half saw Cinderford come out strongly and on the 55th minute an absolute screamer of a goal from the talented Charlie Davies.  He took the ball from a throw-in just inside Lydney’s half, moved the ball forward before unleashing a strike from outside the box that looped over the top of Lydney’s keeper into the top corner of the net!  Cinderford 2 – Lydney 1.

 60th minute of the game Charlie was taken off by manager Matty Driscoll and a chance for Cinderford’s number 15 Josh Jones. Lydney were still showing theirattacking play, keeping Cinderford’s keeper James Smallcombe on his toes with him pulling off a good save from the Lydney number 7 Callum Dark.  

 In the 78th minute Cinderford’s Ethan Hayes retrieved the ball from a cross, passingit to Ben Watkins who took the ball into the box, his shot forcing the Lydney keeper to parry the ball straight on the foot of player of the match, Craig Norman, who under the defender’s challenge still managed to put the ball into the net making it 3 for Cinderford and 1 for Lydney.

 Another substitution for Cinderford with Ethan Hayes going off and Kerry Morgan coming on.  Lydney did keep their heads up, pushing forward, which proved fruitful when Keeping went by two Cinderford defenders.  He the appeared to be taken down and a penalty was the verdict from the referee.  Gabriel stepped up and calmly slotted past the Cinderford keeper.  10 mins of normal time remained, and you couldhear the volume rise within the Causeway.  The game continued with end-to-end play, Cinderford going for the 3 points, Lydney going for the equaliser.  Cinderford lost Kerry Morgan who had not long come on after a challenge in midfield, and we sadly saw him limping off, to be replaced by number 14 Isamail Yakubu (Yak) to see out the remaining minutes.

 Cinderford Town took the 3 points, final score for this Boxing Day Forest Derby, Cinderford Town 3 – Lydney Town 2 which now means that Cinderford have done the double over Lydney.


Cinderford’s squad James Smallcombe, Adam Davies, Kian Skidmore, Ben Vine, Dan Barnard (captain), Dale Evans, Ethan Hayes, Ben Watkins, Craig Norman, Charlie Davies, Lewis Powell.

 Subs – Kerry Morgan, Ismail Yakubu, Josh Jones, Will Morford

Categories: Match Reports