Cinderford Town History
Cinderford Town was formed in 1922, and played in the Gloucester Northern Senior League until 1939, when they joined the Bristol Charity League. This league possibly earns the distinction of being one of the shortest lived leagues in history, lasting two weeks before the outbreak of World War 2. The club then joined, and stayed, in the 2nd Division of the Western League until winning the championship in 1956/57. It was at the end of this campaign that a record home crowd of 4,850 was recorded at the final game against Minehead.
Playing in the higher division of the Western League put severe financial pressure on the club, and after 3 seasons they withdrew from the competition in question. After 3 seasons back in the Gloucester Northern Senior League, the club looked to the Midlands for it’s football. Town were accepted into the Warwickshire Combination and success came in 1963/64 when they did the double by winning the League Championship and League Cup. The following season saw Cinderford move up to the West Midland League, which was then the highest grade of football achieved by the club, with opponents including Bromsgrove Rovers, Kidderminster Harriers, Boston United and Tamworth. Success was never easy in the West Midland League, but it finally came in 1968/69 when after a titanic struggle with Kidderminster Harriers in the West Midland League Cup Final the score ended 1 -1. Both clubs were declared joint winners and held the trophy for 6 months each.
Cinderford returned to play in the newly formed Gloucestershire County League for the 1969/70 season and stayed for the next 5 years, finishing runners-up on 3 occasions, but were again looking for a higher standard of football and were accepted into the Midland Football Combination League. Town played in this League for the next 10 seasons, enjoying quality football against sides such as Moor Green, Sutton Coldfield and Bridgnorth. The highest league position attained during this time was 4th, although the club won the League Cup in 1982/83 after beating Bridgnorth in extra time. During the early Eighties the club was dealt a blow with financial problems in the Social Club. Club officials were forced to withdraw from the Midland Combination and return to the Gloucestershire County League to allow the financial rebuilding of the Social Club to take priority. Dedicated hard work has seen a revitalisation of both the social and football clubs.
Season 1990/91 saw the club gain admission to the Hellenic League, Division One, winning the league championship at the first attempt and thus securing a place in the Premier Division. Floodlights were erected for the 1991/92 season and Birmingham City sent their full first team squad for the official opening.
November 1993 saw work begin on a project to level the infamous Causeway Ground’s 18 foot corner to corner slope. This work was completed during the Summer of 1994. The 1994/95 season was the most succesful in the club’s history. Cinderford pulled off a unique treble, winning the Hellenic Premier Division, Hellenic Premier Division Cup plus the Hellenic League Floodlit Cup. The following season we joined the Beazer Homes League, and had our famous FA Cup run, defeating conference sides Bromsgrove and Bath, before being thwarted by Gravesend and Northfleet in a 2nd round proper replay, having been drawn against Aston Villa in the next round.
Since then, Cinderford have been members of the Dr. Martens Southern, Midland and Western Divisions.
In 2016 Cinderford Town become Southern League South & West Champions. A brief stay in the Premier Division means that the club will once again take their place in this division.
Record Attendance: 4,850 v. Minehead (Western League, Season 1955/56)
Best FA Cup run: Reached Second Round Proper replay 1995/96
Cinderford Town 1 Gravesend & Northfleet 1, Gravesend & Northfleet 3 Cinderford Town 0
Gravesend & Northfleet met Aston Villa at Villa Park in the Third Round